Friday, August 22, 2008

Tropical Storm Fay 2008

Here comes our first tropical storm of the year 2008. TROPICAL STORM FAY.

Well, we are getting a good soaking today and for the next few days from a Tropical Storm named Fay. This storm hit Florida the first time 4 days ago dropping massive amounts of rain. This storm has kept sustained winds at 60 miles an hour while moving across the peninsula of Florida. It has made it's way up the coast of Florida and has now made a westerly turn. Possibly making a 4th of 5th landfall if it goes back out into the Gulf of Mexico waters.
Right now we are getting one of the heavier bands of rain right now, with some good wind gusts. I am thankful for the rain, we need it, we just don't need 25 inches like places in south Florida around Melbourne. I went into my shop last night and put everything that I didn't want to get wet up on the shelves just in case. My shop is not on high ground, but my house is up a little. And I fully expect to have Lake Watson in my backyard within a few hours. I'll post that picture if it happens.
This is a picture of the radar as of 12:04 pm, Friday. I will keep everyone posted as long as I have electricity to do so.
This storm reminds me a little of Tropical Storm Allison that hit the Houston, TX area in 2001. We lived outside of Houston, and Allison dropped 36" of rain. Also hitting Houston twice in the same week. I remember seeing news video with houses with water all the way up to the roofs. I have two pictures I found online and they show Interstate I-10, there was so much water. There are pictures like this of South Florida now. It's sad :(

The caption says it is a view of I-10. I have traveled on these roads, and it is scary to think that it was all under water at one time.
I've been on this road too, and yes it is a very busy section of Hwy 59 in Houston, TX. Well, not at the moment. When the water receded, there were so many semi trucks lodged underneath overpasses, I think I saw one with 13 that didn't stop and got stuck. If there is water, please turn around. Our cars and trucks are not made to float, believe me apparently I tried it once.
Ok, more later, Amy

No comments: