Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Frugal Queen Strikes again!

Warning!!!! A little bragging about frugality ahead!!!


I found an AWESOME deal this weekend, I just have to tell you about it. I went to some garage sales with my friend Melanie, her mom and aunt Saturday morning. I was hoping I would be able to find some things for the boys, and I did find a few things.

Anyway, we came to this one sale, and I wasn't really looking until I spotted this bag. It looked like a camera bag, and I thought it was just the bag. I almost didn't go look at it, because I already have one. Well, I decided to look at it anyway, and inside was a camera and a lens. At first I thought maybe the girl would say they weren't for sale and I would apologize for looking at her personal camera, but then she said the whole set for $30. It was a Canon rebel s (film) camera, and lens 35-80mm, and another lens that is a Can0n telephoto 75-300mm. I seriously had to pick my jaw up off the ground. She said it needed new batteries but she had gone to digital and wanted to get rid of this one, and that it still worked. I checked online and saw that telephoto lens alone was listed anywhere from $219-369. And I got it for $25. I have thought it would be cool to have a film one and a digital one, and now I do.

I didn't have my camera with me, it was in my van, so I asked the lady to hold it for me so I could go get some money and my camera. I really wanted the lens to fit my camera, because I have been wanting to get a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens. And I was thinking that if it didn't fit I might not buy it. I really like my digital better than film because I can print at home, and put them on my computer, where film I can't, and I can't proof what I take either.
I went back over there and tried the lens with my camera and it was a PERFECT FIT!! I was so excited. I happily paid her the money and she wished me luck with them. And later after I got home I realized that each of the lenses had filter lenses on them too. And then my friend Kathy had two more filters that she purchased and didn't fit her camera, and they fit mine so she gave them to me too. So all of the above in that picture were $25.
I feel so blessed today. Things that would have cost my hundreds of dollars didn't. I really tried to sleep in today, but for some reason my body was awake at 7, and so I called Melanie to see where they were going and when. I think I was being told I needed to go.

So I am now writing to show some of the new things I have been taking pictures of with my new lens. I went to the lake to walk the other day, and I followed this bird (I think it's a Heron, but not sure) around for probably 45 minutes. He was searching for food so I was hoping to get a shot of him with a fish in his mouth. And finally I did, two! :) I took more of the bird and they are down further.













Then tonight (Tuesday) I took one of the moon rising out my front door, and some of the beautiful orange sunset.



















Out my back door, God's works of art are so beautiful.



This is taken from my front porch as the moon was rising, and the sun above was setting. I like the pink clouds, with the darkening blue sky and white moon. It looks full, but not for another two days. I am going to try to get a photo of it when it is full. I was excited I got this shot because with the heavier lens my hand shakes a little and I don't have a stabilizer on my camera. But it looked great.


I am excited to have this lens, and this is my Christmas present to myself. I need to put it away till Christmas, but I'm not sure that I can. hehehe

Anyway, here are some shots of what I took photos of this weekend.


In this first one, he actually looked at me. And this next one it looks like he was posing for me. His beak is such a pretty orange color against the dark water.















I was purposely trying to get close enough to watch him take flight, and finally he did.













I love this one with the greenery and the bird just on the edge of the water. And the reflection in the water with this one. It almost looks like two birds there, but it's only one.




















I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. HHMMM, what can I take pictures of next. I need something to focus on that is far away. Like a sporting event...I'll have to try to get to one soon. More later...








3 comments:

kendra said...

AWESOME!! That is so wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

Wow--that is the ultimate deal! I am a little jealous! And the pictures are wonderful!

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

Thanks for stopping by (and commenting!) on my BATW day!

What a great deal!