Thursday, October 30, 2008

Blue Door, Before and After


Last weekend (the weekend before Halloween), the boys were with their dad and the rainy weather canceled my outdoor plans for Friday night, so I went and rented a couple movies from the video store (since I am waiting for my next from Netflix). After I watched one, I had this itch to paint something. Yes at 10:30 pm on a Friday night I was painting my front door, and my coffee table. I would have painted some of the wall, but I had only bought two of the half pints that you can buy at Lowe's, so that I could make sure that is the colors I want to use, AND I have to prep my walls. I live in a mobile home, and the walls are wallboard with tack strips every few feet. Well, I want to take all the tack strips off, put joint compound over the openings and paint the walls, so that it looks less like a mobile home. Plus some of the kids I watch are trying to pull the strips off the wall already.
So I didn't want to do any prep work since that take hours, (pull of tack strip, repair the opening underneath with joint compound, let dry, sand to smooth, start over again if needed)-too long, I wanted results NOW! See the spider web and spider on my ceiling, I love to decorate for the holidays.



BEFORE....





AFTER...
So I pulled out the paint, no prepping required on the door, just a wash cloth to remove fingerprints. I didn't even cover the knobs since I have plans for new non-gold ones, on my "to do" list. And I went to work. It needs a second coat, but I'm not sure if I have enough paint in the small can, it still looks good, and it gave me an idea as to what it will look like on the walls. I absolutely love it!!! I got the color scheme from a rug I found at Home Depot. It's called Mohawk Constellation Rain. It has turquoise, brown and tan shag look to it. I wish I could have carpet like it, but I think it's only rugs. So I went and picked out the turquoise paint, and a chocolate paint to do one wall. The opposite wall of my chocolate brown curtains.


This is the small doorway rug, I want the big 8' x 10' one for my living room.




This is an up close picture, so you can see the shag and the colors better.

My paint colors for my living room are from Lowe's: the turquoise color is: Atlantic Gray-Lowe's American traditions Seaside retreat colors, and the chocolate is: Deep Walnut by Valspar.




My coffee table top painted Walnut. It needs another coat and some polyurethane to make it so the kids don't scratch it. Hopefully I will get to that this weekend.


I don't know how long it will take me to get it done. I don't have much time or money, so it's a slow go right now. But I am doing a little at a time, and each time I accomplish something I get excited to start doing something else. After I get all the paint work done, and I am not watching other kids anymore, I want to get some new furniture. My sofa and love seat are almost 9 years old, and have seen better days. I won't be able to get more until probably the fall of 2009 at least. I have been looking around at what I want, and I found the recliner that I want x2, so that I can put them on either side of my fireplace. It is sold by Ashley Furniture, called the San Marco Recliner. It is chocolate color with tan stitching. Glider rocker, recliner, swivels too, and very comfortable. I sat in one at the store about 6 months ago for an hour, I couldn't get out. I loved it!



San Marco Recliner chair photo taken from a furniture website: www.onewayfurniture.com

And I haven't gotten past that part yet. I want to get a sofa that does not have removable pillows. I am tired of the kids taking them off and fighting with them. But I don't know what kind. Maybe leather (tight, not baggy fluffy, or micro-suede or something like that), maybe with recliners in it, not sure. Still looking for that one...

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Awesome. You inspire me!! I need to get in gear and use some of your ideas. :)