Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wonderful Recipe Wednesday-Name Change!

I won in a chili cook-off at my ward social this past weekend for my chili recipe. So today you get it for Blue Plate Special (previously Wonderful Recipe Wednesday). These are my ribbons, and I don't have a picture of the actual chili because it was gone in about 15 minutes at the cook-off. It was a hit.


OK, so I have been thinking that I need to change the name of my recipe posts. I was looking through them the other day, and I realized that I always put the recipe onto a blue plate or bowl, so I am going to change the name to: Blue Plate Special.

Isn't that what some places call their best dishes or a dish that is on special? Anyway, I just thought that fit better and rolled off the tongue easier.

OK, so on with today's Blue Plate Special. This is really cool for me. I won 1st and 2nd in a chili cook-off with this recipe this past weekend. I was 1 out of 20 pots of chili. And wanna know what else? I've never made chili before. I have made soups, but never made a chili, so this was even more exciting for me. And I haven't ever used chicken except in chicken noodle soup, so I was experimenting, and apparently it worked quite well. On the ballot you were to write in who you wanted for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. And I had the same number of votes in the 1st and 2nd coloumns, so they gave me both the ribbons. I was totally taken by surprise. I was excited to just have gotten 2nd, but then the drum roll came and they gave 1st to me too. I was pot #8 with 8 votes in each column. HMMM should 8 be my lucky number or something. :)


These are most of the ingredients. I took the picture so I could remember what I had put in it, just in case I won something, and to be able to post it on here.


Amy's Chicken Taco Chili

Ingredients:
I use 6-8 chicken thighs-you can use whatever chicken you like
Mrs. dash, celery salt, Goya Mojo seasoning, black pepper
1 can Chili beans
1 can light kidney beans, mostly drained leave a small amount of liquid
1 can dark kidney beans, mostly drained
1 can black beans, mostly drained
1 can whole kernel yellow corn, all drained
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes with zesty green chilies
1 small can diced green chilies
1 Tbls. finely chopped jalapenos, I used my chopper and made them real small
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 package ranch dip mix (powder)

Directions:
Put your chicken into a pan and cover with water. Season the water with the spices. Let chicken boil until it will just fall off the bones. While the chicken is cooking, get out your crock pot. Put it on the low heat setting & start adding the beans, corn, diced tomato & the can of sauce, green chilies and jalapenos. Stir it all together and let it start to get warm. When the chicken is done cooking, let it cool enough to be able to handle it, then de-bone the chicken. As you are de-boning it shred it and put it into the crock pot with the other mixture. When you get all those ingredients into the crock pot, add the ranch mix and the taco mix. Let chili cook on low heat for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours.

We like to add toppings to our chili like shredded cheddar cheese or sour cream. And then we eat it with either tortilla chips, corn chips, depending on what I have on hand.

Happy eating, I hope you enjoy. ;)



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful! I loooooooove chili!

Linda and Dave Browne said...

GO Girl!!! I thought that was so cool when you won both. Way to go!!! I wanted to try some, but it was gone before I got up there! ;-(

Hope you're having a good week!
Love ya!!!!

Michelle said...

Can't wait to try it! Thanks for posting your recipe.
P.S. I have been making chili for years, and have yet to make a winner. Maybe you've found your calling in life! :) ha.

Melissa B. said...

Love the recipe...thanks for sharing! Greetings from Virginia, which, of course, is for Lovers, Politics & History! Thanks so much for dropping in for my BATW Day in the Sun...Love your blog & REALLY love this particular post! Please drop by to see me again sometime soon!

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

That sounds yummy!

I'm glad you got your earrings. One of my sisters has a similar issue with earrings! The ear wires are copper too, but I'm not sure if that means they're hypoallergenic.

Laural Out Loud said...

It must've been your combo of seasonings- they sound fantastic!

Congrats on your wins! And thanks for stopping by my blog today. The layover was a blast!

MsTypo said...

That sounds incredibly tasty!! :)

Thanks for visitng on my BAtW day! :)