Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9-11-2001

Today I am sitting at home remembering what I was doing on the morning of Sep. 11, 2001, and how it changed my life.

I was at home recovering from the birth of Owen 9 days prior to that day. Chandler was sitting in front of the television watching Bear in the Big Blue House, and I recieved a phone call telling me to turn on the news, that the Twin Towers in New York City had been hit by an airplane.

So I immediately changed the channel to the local news channel, (which by the way Chandler didn't like at all). And the T.V. did not change channels again for almost 3 days as we watched how the events unfolded. I watched as the second tower was hit by the next airplane, and then also as both towers fell to the ground. It was a devastating thing to watch, and very emotional. I have never witnessed anything like this in my lifetime.

I was concerned that there would be more attacks in different parts of the country. At that time we lived in a very small town in Texas, about 80 miles East of Houston, and I wondered if because Houston was a big city, it was a target. Which I later found out it wasn't.  I also, was worried about my mom, who just the day before had flown into Boston for a work conference. We couldn't get a hold of her due to all the phone lines being tied up.  When we did hear from her, she was doing fine, but would not be returning home at the time expected. She had to stay until the airports started flying again.

It's very sad to see attacks like this going on today. I am thankful that no one in my family was hurt during these attacks. And send out my condolences to all those that have suffered pain or loss from the terrible event 8 years ago today.

Let us take a moment today to thank our Heavenly Father for all the blessings we have. I want to thank him myself. I am grateful for everything that I have here as I live upon this earth. I am thankful for my earthly parents, I love you so much, you are a great example to me. I love my brother and sister and their families, thank you for all that you for me and the boys, we are very appreciative. I love all my extended family and all my friends also. I have had some struggles, and am truly grateful for you standing by me, supporting me, letting me cry on your shoulder, for uplifting me, and showing me that my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love me and know who I am. My faith has grown so much.  I am so blessed.

Amy Kay :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thanks for your thoughts about this memorable and tragic day. It helped me to think back on my own memories.