Monday, August 4, 2008

Let's be more GREEN!

I was getting ready to shut off my computer tonight to go read some more of my Eclipse book, and I saw something on Yahoo that caught my eye. I need everyone who read this blog post to help me.

There is an article on there about getting cash for your recycling. I know just like me we all can use some extra cash in our pockets. Well, I have been known in the past to be called "The Queen of Free", to some people I know. I have gotten lots of things for little or no money over these past few years, including 4 brand new car seats. So I clicked on this article to see what it said. Well, it listed four websites that we can go to that will buy things that can be recycled and if it is electronics or something that can be refurbished they will send you a container and you can send it to them. If they can fix it and re-sell it, they will send you a check for the item. That way these items that are damaging to our environment can be recycled for use again.

One of the websites is somewhere I go quite often to find good deals, is FreeCycle. I am a member of ones in Tallahassee, Thomasville, I think still Wakulla County. But it is where one person's trash is another person's treasure, and people offer to give away things to someone, and they will travel to that person's home or meeting place to pick up said items. I have gotten a few things, like sofa/love seat, kitchen table, end/coffee table, pots, flatware, plates, cups, a tv stand, a dog that didn't stay long at my house, etc. Anyway...the reason for the post...

One of the websites is called www.recyclebank.com

It is not currently in Georgia, but maybe if enough of us send them an email telling them we want service maybe they will open a bank here. They give you a trash container and you put your plastics, glass, paper, etc all recycle stuff, without having to sort it, and the container has a microchip in it, and the truck weighs the container and transmits the weight to an account where you can get points worth coupons for groceries, and pharmacy items, etc.

On the home page go to the Contact Us tab, the top right tab and click it, then click on Sign up for the program on the right side of the page, then fill in the information and it says they will contact us when they open in our community.

I have had recycling programs in other places that I have lived, but there isn't a curbside one here in Thomasville that I know of, so can we rally together and try to get one here. I don't do much recycling like I should, and the boys tell me all the time we should be. Anyway, I hope this will get to some of you. Maybe us little people can start to make a little difference in our little section of the world.

On their site it says they have saved 421,988 Trees, and 28,188,862 gallons of oil. I think that is amazing. This is our home and we need to protect it as much as we can, or there won't be much left for our posterity. Think about that! LET'S TRY TO BE MORE GREEN!!!

1 comment:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

Cool! Thanks for the info. When we lived in Seattle we recycled everything--it was a regular part of life. It was really weird coming here to have nothing recycled. We definitely need to be more green!

Thanks again for the info--I'm going to check it out!