Thursday, September 11, 2008

Reflecting on the Anniversary of September 11, 2001

Today marks the 7 year anniversary of the terrorist attack on the USA, and as I sit and watch the children play I am reflecting on the events that happened in New York, Washington D.C., and Pennsylvania.


I can remember like it was yesterday. I had just had Owen 9 days before this, so I was still recovering from childbirth. Chandler was watching kids shows on The Disney Channel on the TV, and Owen was asleep in the playpen. I got a phone call from Matt and he said I needed to turn on the news because an airplane had just hit one of the twin towers in New York City. So I did, (and this is where the TV stayed for 3 days, we didn't change the channel). Not long after I did, I watched the second tower get hit, and I witnessed both buildings collapse to the ground. Matt was on his way to a managers meeting in Houston for the day, about 80 miles from our house. When I saw all this happening two things went through my mind, "Is my mom OK, and is this world war III?". My mom had flown into Boston the day before for work, she flew into one of the airports one of the planes left from. This scared me a little, and made me feel very small in this big world at that moment. Also, made me more aware that we may be safe here, but we are not invincible. And even those we try to protect ourselves bad people still get here and hurt us.

My mom was stuck in Boston until the airports opened again longer than she had planned, and we were sure that we had contact with her, making sure she was OK. She said she flew over New York City when she was coming back home and she said she could see all the smoke coming from the rubble. I am sure that was a very eerie feeling flying over what is now called, Ground Zero, and I am sure it still is today.

I did not personally lose anyone in these tragic events, but it changed me, and the way I think about things. Also, knowing my friends' the Browne family, and the recent events with Tropical Storm Fay-leaving its flooding marks; makes me more aware of what I am thankful for, and what it important to me. My children are the most important thing to me. I can replace everything except them. I can take more pictures, and if I lose their scrapbooks and all my other photos I will be sad, but if I have my precious boys, then I can make more. They are what I live my life for, and my heart goes out to those that lost their loved ones on that sad day September 11, 2001.

I am going to put the scrapbook page in this post that I did for the boys scrapbooks. I did not have any pictures of the events just of Chandler carrying around "his baby" in the carrier., and watching TV.




I hope that all of us take a moment and say a prayer for all those that were lost on this day 7 years ago, and also to thank Our heavenly Father for all of the many blessings in our lives right now.

Love to all,
Amy, & the boys-Chandler, Owen & Hayden

4 comments:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

Amen.

Another beautiful post! Thanks for sharing. I was on my way to work (in Seattle) when I heard them say on the radio, "I can't believe this has happened; what a tragedy, and on and on! It was just after 6am (PST) and I called Dave and told him he needed to turn on the tv since something big had happened (but I didn't know what at that point, the DJs were still just aghast about the whole thing.) When I got to work, I ran to the lobby where they had a big tv. That is where I saw the second jet fly into the other tower and the collapse of both. My heart just broke and I remember feeling as if our country's innocence had just been taken. I was overwhelmed by the desire to run home and just hug my family.

Unfortunately, tragedy is a part of life, but I think it does remind us of the important things in life---family and friends. Everything else is replaceable. But, funny thing, I really don't want to replace a lot of what has been lost. I just want to simplify and as we get our junk out of your garage I plan to purge. Things don't mean much to me anymore. Yes, I'll be getting new furniture, etc. but the "little" stuff that we think is so important (and yet it really is just a burden)doesn't matter much.

Thanks for all your support, prayers, your love, and your garage. You are a living example of the pure love of Christ. Thank you for EVERYTHING!!!

And, thanks for the tip on the gas--we filled up that night. I guess, I just didn't hear my phone ring, and when I discovered you had called, it was too late to call you back.

Hope you are doing well. Thanks again!
We love you!!
Linda and Dave

Debbie said...

HI Amy Kay! I just want to let you know that you are all linked up on Blog Around the World. Thanks for stopping by and check in daily to see where we are headed next!

Britt said...

Thanks so much for stopping by this morning! I may love my small town, but my hubby isn't as thrilled with it as I am :o) He's a big town boy at heart, and I love him for putting up with the small town life for me :o)

Cant Hardly Wait said...

Just dropping in to say thank you for the advice. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone (and I mean that in the most sincerest way...haha!)

I'm learning to be frugal. It's hard stuff, I'm used to spending when I want to, not when I need to. Thank you again, and this post was beautiful by the way!